We specialize in serving adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and creating person-centered programs that combine personal choice and community integration with professional oversight, family involvement and stability.
Community-Based Prevention Services
At South Carolina MENTOR, we believe that every family possesses the natural strengths and abilities it needs to overcome challenges—and we’re here to support them each step of the way. Our Community-Based Prevention Services program provides support services to help children, adolescents and their family members reduce risks within the home and create a positive path for their lives.
A Team Approach to Service
We provide treatment that begins in the family home—where children and adults may feel more comfortable—and addresses behavioral challenges stemming from abuse, neglect, domestic violence, grief and other difficult circumstances. Our services focus on keeping families intact and preventing youth from having to enter foster care or child protective services. We also provide services to assist families when a child is having disciplinary issues at school.
Master’s-level case managers create family plans and work with family members who play an active role in helping children and families achieve their goals. These unique goals may include:
- Effectively working through any crisis in a positive manner.
- Identifying a family’s natural strengths and supports in the community that can help them continue moving forward.
- Improving community networks that strengthen support systems.
- Developing communication skills and trust to rebuild and strengthen relationships between parents and children, and between siblings.
- Helping a family leverage its strengths and develop new skills to support their child along his or her life’s journey.
For every child and family we serve, our experts create a plan for the future and coordinate community-based resources and supports to ensure continued success once they transition out of our services. And at each stage of the journey, we help children and families celebrate the success they have achieved.
A Focus on Families, A Focus on Relationships
South Carolina MENTOR’s Community-Based Prevention Services program is family and relationship-focused with treatment that involves:
- Enhancing problem-solving and judgment skills
- Communication and social skills development
- Building trust and relationships
- Anger and stress management
- Crisis management and coping skills
- Parenting support and training
- Job support for parents
- Academic support for youth
- Mental health assessments
- Community involvement and assistance with cultural barriers
- 24-hour, on-call support
We also help individuals connect to other community resources to provide stability in their lives with issues like clothing or shelter.
South Carolina MENTOR’s Community-Based Prevention Services program has proven that children and families flourish when they are able to receive the right services and supports. Find out more by contacting the office nearest you.